|Senior Research Fellow, CSR & Global Environmental Governance
|Office: Liu Institute for Global Issues, Room 312
|Office Phone: (604) 822-8061
|Fax: (604) 822-6966|
Jane Lister is a Senior Research Fellow at the Liu Institute for Global Issues and the Associate Director of the Centre for Transportation Studies at the Sauder School of Business. Her research
focuses on business ethics, corporate social responsibility (CSR),
environmental policy, and resource management issues. She has a
particular interest in the business and politics of global supply chain sustainability.|
Jane leads a global policy partnership project with David Gillen (Sauder School of Business) and Henrik Sornn-Friese (Copenhagen Business School) evaluating the political economy implications of greening the maritime supply chain. She is an associate with the UBC Global Reporting Centre and has just completed a $200,000 SSHRC partnership development grant with Peter Klein, of the UBC Graduate School of Journalism investigating the governance of illegal timber in retail supply chains. She is currently initiating a green economy project with the Sustainable Prosperity Research Network at the University of Ottawa to assess the policy significance of retail supply chain corporate carbon management strategies. In the past year, Jane has written grants for UBC totalling $2.7m to support and further this research.
She has taught courses in corporate sustainability at the Sauder School of Business and guest lectures in political science, law and forestry. She is the author of three books as well as several peer-reviewed articles on CSR governance. Most recently, she was visiting associate professor in the Department of Innovation and Organizational Economics at the Copenhagen Business School (CBS).
Jane has a doctorate in resource management (UBC), an MBA in corporate strategy (Sauder), and an honours BA in economics and environmental studies (Trinity College, Toronto).
Her professional background includes over 15 years applied experience in the sustainability governance field in both the public and private sectors. Prior to her doctoral studies, she was a sustainability auditor with the Global Risk Management practice at PricewaterhouseCoopers, and an environmental policy analyst with the Ontario provincial government. She currently sits on the Chemistry Industry of Canada's Responsible Care National Advisory Panel.
Lectures and Invited Presentations
- "Benchmarking Global Supply Chains: The Power of the Ethical Audit Regime." Review of International Studies Special Issue Panel on Benchmarking in Global Governance. (With Genevieve LeBaron). British International Studies Association. London. June 18, 2015.
- "Linking Global Production Networks / Global Value Chains to Sustainable
Supply Chain Management." Research Roundtable (in absentia with Sadaat Yawar, Stefan Seuring, Andreas Wieland). European Research Seminar on Logistics and
Supply Chain Management, Copenhagen,
April 23, 2015 .
- "The Greening of International Shipping." Invited keynote address (with René Taudal Poulsen). Green Ship Technology Conference. Copenhagen, March 11, 2015.
- "Greening the Shipping Industry: Is it Possible?" Invited lecture (with René Taudal Poulsen). CBS student chapter of the Danish Association for Energy Economics, Copenhagen Business School, December 03, 2014.
- "Creating Shared Value? The Implications of Big Brand Sustainability Governance for Global Development." Invited lecture. International Development Studies Speaker Series, St. Mary's University, Halifax, January 17, 2014.
- "The Political Economy of Retail CSR and Green Shipping." Co-chair and presenter. Global Shipping & Corporate Responsibility Research Workshop, (with Hans Krause Hansen and Henrik Sornn-Friese), Copenhagen Business School, November 13, 2013.
- "The New Gatekeeper: Audits as an Extra-Contractual Mechanism of Global Governance." Invited presenter and participant (with Genevieve LeBaron), The Legitimacy of Private Transnational Governance by Contract Workshop, (Hosted by Dr. Claire Cutler.) University of Victoria, August 28-29, 2013.
- "Demand-side Implications of Retail Sustainability for Global Forest Resources." Invited presenter. IUFRO, Resources for the Future Conference, Vancouver, August 27, 2013.
- "Leveraging Retail Supply Chain Sustainability Tools for Municipal Waste Management Improvements." Invited presenter and panel participant. National Zero Waste Council, Metro Vancouver, April 23, 2013.
- "The Implications of Transnational Retail Governance for Global Forests." Sustainable Land Use Impacts Workshop. Invited presenter and participant. Francqui Foundation (Hosted by Eric Lambin), Brussels, Dec 5-7, 2012.
- "What Does it Mean to Go Green?" Invited panel discussant. UBC Dialogues, Vancouver, March 1, 2012.
- "Co-Regulating Corporate Social Responsibility: The Possibilities and Limits of Voluntary Business Sustainability." Invited lecture. School of Public Policy and Administration Speaker Series, Carleton University, September 27, 2011.
- "Big Brand Sustainability: Global Governance Prospects and Limits." Invited lecture. World Federalists. Vancouver, September 15, 2011.
- "The Global Political Economy of Timber." Invited presenter and participant. The Forests Dialogue, Washington DC, June 1-3, 2011.
- "The Possibilities of a Global Green Economy." Invited presenter and panel chair, G8 Youth Summit 2010, Vancouver, May 13, 2010.
- "Public Policy Implications of Corporate Social Responsibility." Invited presenter, Mapping Ethical Issues Workshop, Canadian Business Ethics Research Network, Vancouver, November 20, 2009.
|Graduate Student Supervision:|